Lexus RC350 & RCF Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I read about this in the manual :rolleyes: and I am using a USB to play my music. I have a little over 700 MP3 on the USB device formatted per the manual.

When I initiate Voice Commands (VC) I get a response that indicates that I have too much music to do what is asked. VC: "Play Song Cliffs of Dover" or "Play Artist Eric Johnson". Each MP3 file has the artist name and song name clearly indicated.

I then read that because I have all the MPS in the root folder that could be the reason as it doesn't know what to do, so again looking at the manual it indicates I should implement folders, which I do for the different types of music I have. I have no more that 255 MP3 per folder, per the manual, and change to that folder. I again try to use the VC of "Play Song Cliffs of Dover" or "Play Artist Eric Johnson", and once again I get "Because of the volume the music must be cataloged, please try again later", but the problem is that later never occurs as every time I try it afterwards I get the same basic response. :crying:

Any help from the guru's would be greatly appreciated?

·
Banned
742 Posts
Thats interesting... I can't say I can be of any legitimate help peter, but anecdotally Lexus has been having issues with the System in the new NX as well, I'm wondering if we're seeing teething issues popping up?

have you tried with another USB loaded with say 1 or 2 albums for comparisons sake? If it replicates the issue I would say its more an issue with the system itself then the way you're using the system...

Keep us info'd.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats interesting... I can't say I can be of any legitimate help peter, but anecdotally Lexus has been having issues with the System in the new NX as well, I'm wondering if we're seeing teething issues popping up?

have you tried with another USB loaded with say 1 or 2 albums for comparisons sake? If it replicates the issue I would say its more an issue with the system itself then the way you're using the system...

Keep us info'd.
I'll try that tonight when I get home. For starters I put only 1 MP3 on the USB and see if it can at least play 1 song. If the darn thing is supposed to catalog or index (on my Camaro) you would think it would indicate what it is doing, but nothing.

I'll keep you all informed as to what I find.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Please let us know what you find out - I have to say that as much as I love my RC350 I will admit the voice commands take some getting used to!!!

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll try that tonight when I get home. For starters I put only 1 MP3 on the USB and see if it can at least play 1 song. If the darn thing is supposed to catalog or index (on my Camaro) you would think it would indicate what it is doing, but nothing.

I'll keep you all informed as to what I find.
UPDATE:

I put 5 songs on a different USB device and put it into the car. I then used VC, and asked it to play a song and got the great response of "Pardon". I then tried play Artist and got the same stupid response. Then, like a miracle it started to work as advertised. It took the system over 3 minutes to catalog 5 songs, and how the heck long is it going to take to catalog 800? Yes, I can do the math, but it should be a lot faster.

According to the manual you can have have no more that 8 main folders on a USB device with the Root folder being one of the 8. So that means 7 main folders. Still working on finding out how the VC is supposed to work with that. :crying:

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting... can anyone confirm if this is standard operating procedures?
Hope this helps.

The USB info is on page 364 of the owners manual.
Items related to standards and limitations are as follows:

• Maximum directory hierarchy: 8 levels
• Maximum number of folders in a device: 3000 (including the root)
• Maximum number of files in a device: 9999
• Maximum number of files per folder: 255

Random selection when using USB device: When Random is selected twice then the system will randomly play a song from each folder on the USB device and FLD.RAND will appear on the screen.

Selecting Random only once will randomly play songs that are currently in the folder you are in. This is on Page 222 of the Navigation manual.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update 1/15/2015

After speaking with Lexus Customer Service for stereos I was basically told to use Bluetooth from my phone. :confused: Not exactly what I was hoping for.

On another note I transferred all my music from a USB to my iPod Nano 4th Gen. and lo and behold every freaking thing works like it should. Voice commands all work correctly. :eek:

The only reason I didn't want to use my iPod in the first place was in case the car was ever broken into I wouldn't lose my iPod and only a $15 USB drive.

If anyone ever finds out how to make a USB flash drive work let me know.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Definitely not the answer they should be giving but at least it's something for now that will work.

I guess you can always try asking another rep to see what they have to suggest to you, might get a different answer.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Definitely not the answer they should be giving but at least it's something for now that will work.

I guess you can always try asking another rep to see what they have to suggest to you, might get a different answer.
Yep, not what I was hoping for, but like you said it is working with the iPod and it buys me some time. What I'm going to do is look at those 5 songs that I put on a different USB device and see if somehow they are setup differently somehow.

Now if the car would stop not remembering my phone that would be sweet. I see that it downloads everything, and when I say Call name it gives me that darn "Pardon", but if I manually make the call with the phone itself then everything works again. Go Figure. I even deleted the phone and did a new pair with the car.

Technology, can't live with it, can't live without it, and someday Skynet will take over. LOL

·
Registered
47 Posts
My mp3 files copied to a USB drive play well for the most part, but:

every once in a while it will simply not see one of them;
the files are not sorted by file name, but by one of the metadata tags, but I'm not sure which one yet;
Making 4 or 5 folders works, but it is awkward moving around to find the mp3 desired;
Streaming from my iPhone via Bluetooth works fairly well, but I get the impression from the manual that if I am doing that, then the iPhone won't work as a phone and I will not get incoming calls or be able to make outgoing calls - but I have yet to test this;
using an Apple-USB cord to connect an iPod works well, and might be an easier solution than the USB flash drive (or you can connect the iPod from the headphone jack, in which case I gather you can only control the iPod from the face of the iPod itself);
finally, if I put 2 flash drives into the two slots, I can only access one of them.
. . . . as far as I can tell so far.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My USB plays the files just fine, and even does Random folders when I shuffle, but I just can't use the VC to find a particular song or artist. On the iPod I'm using the Apple-USB cord and I can control everything from the stereo. I haven't tired putting in two USB devices. I think I will give it a shot and see if it recognizes it.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Yep, not what I was hoping for, but like you said it is working with the iPod and it buys me some time. What I'm going to do is look at those 5 songs that I put on a different USB device and see if somehow they are setup differently somehow.

Now if the car would stop not remembering my phone that would be sweet. I see that it downloads everything, and when I say Call name it gives me that darn "Pardon", but if I manually make the call with the phone itself then everything works again. Go Figure. I even deleted the phone and did a new pair with the car.

Technology, can't live with it, can't live without it, and someday Skynet will take over. LOL
Exactly, that's really what matters most, that it's not taking away from the user experience, a remedy is better then a temporary loss. Keep us posted on how that goes.

About SkyNet, what's funny is right now there's a lot of development going into getting artificial intelligence out into society, it's going to impact us big time. And to think it was something we only seen in Hollywood years ago, all in awe. The hollywood effect ;)

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The only difference I can see between the USB and iPod is that in the USB device the *.mp3 is part of the file name, which the system doesn't appear to like. In the iPod the Song name doesn't contain the *.mp3.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If I put 2 USB flash drives into the two slots, the audio system will only allow me to access one of them (probably the first one I plug in, but I'm not sure of that). If I put in one flash drive and connect an iPod to the other USB slot, I can access either of them at any time.
I tried to figure out how to access the audio files on my iPhone via Bluetooth, but I cannot "browse" that device, only step through the files one by one.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If I put 2 USB flash drives into the two slots, the audio system will only allow me to access one of them (probably the first one I plug in, but I'm not sure of that). If I put in one flash drive and connect an iPod to the other USB slot, I can access either of them at any time.
I tried to figure out how to access the audio files on my iPhone via Bluetooth, but I cannot "browse" that device, only step through the files one by one.
Can't help you with that one as I have an Android phone. There is something in either the Owners or Navigation manual that might help. Try this site:
https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/le...=&searchType=&model=RC350&year=2015&x=43&y=10

1 - 18 of 18 Posts