Lexus RC350 & RCF Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been driving my 2006 Toyota Solara since 2006. I've been fine up until now...car runs amazing. We haven't put a dime into it. Don't have many coupes that turn our heads....until now. :/

Okay, so we need to figure out if we can "afford" a $50k car. I never in a million years thought I would spend that kind of money and still don't know if we're going to do it (haven't had a car payment in YEARS). But we are definitely considering it. There is no way we will lease (sorry, but probably one of the worst financial decisions one can make--unless they write off for business purposes--so we'll buy if we do decide to plunge forward).

Hubby has acquiesced to the 307 HP. I was nervous....he is an 8 cylinder kind of guy, but he didn't put up a fight (this is my car....but I still needed to get his buyoff....this is way too much $$ not to go into this as a team).

It's the Sport package that I'm trying to determine whether I want or not. Obviously, everyone that HAS that package is going to sing its praises, but I'm really trying to find some feedback from someone that has real knowledge of both....of course if you bought the one w/out, you are going to say it is not worth the extra too. But if anyone really has some experience with looking closely at this issue, I would love feedback.

I have read more than 3 reports that say, dollar for dollar, it's just not that special and that the ride is actually smoother on the base model. This is just a car that we are going to drive to work and for fun. We are not going to drive on the racetrack.

Also, the grill. I LOVE the grill....but I'm wondering....do I have to have the Sports package in order to get the grill that covers the entire front part? I've seen a few grills that seem like they are only half way down and then just black on the lower part. I don't want to make a decision on which model based on how much I like the grill, but I would like to know how you get the larger, fuller grill that doesn't break half way through.

Also, while orange is my favorite color, the Infrared has to be the baddest red I've seen in YEARS. Lexus came close a couple years ago with the Madator, but this takes the cake. Even hubby likes the red and that would typically not be his first color. He actually likes the Atomic Silver, but silver is my least favorite color of all....I always think that the car snuck out of the factory and without getting painted!!! Plus silver cars are really hard to see....although I must admit, the Atomic Silver (or Gray, can't recall) looks like sterling silver and that's pretty cool.

And one more thing....I think the 2016 models should be here soon. The dealer told me there won't be any changes, but I don't believe anything the dealer tells me....he used words like, "I'm pretty sure," "rumor has it." Those are all phrases that means he can tell me whatever he wants to and not be accountable for anything. Does anyone know if they are producing the 2016? If so, will there be any changes? The only really bad thing that I have read numerous times is the placement of the navigation next to the cup holder (can't get it wet). And that the navigation in itself has more than a few kinks.

Anyway, this message board does not have much traffic so I will see if there are more frequented boards out there for these types of questions.

But hopefully someone will give me some information.

Thank you!

Dawn

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi Dawn,

If you want a smoother ride, go Base. If you want the sportier look (the grill) go with the F Sport. The best thing you can do is to drive both and decide for yourself. You're the one who's going to be driving it every day. And, yes, the grill you're referring to only comes on the F Sport.

I have the Atomic Silver. My wife doesn't like silver cars either but she loves the Atomic Silver. It just has a "burst" to it.

Good luck with your decision. Yes, it's expensive (most expensive car I've owned). But, in my opinion, it's well worth it. I LOVE mine!

All the best...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mrjangle....I think we do need to test both. I'm still trying to decide if I want to buy something brand new that hasn't even had any of the kinks worked out yet. I don't care about the weight of the car...that doesn't bother me in the least.

Also, trying to wrap my brain around not being able to pay cash for it....not all of it anyway. I hate the thought of a car payment, but I really, really, like this car.

:)

·
Registered
126 Posts
You're very welcome, Dawn!

As far as any "kinks", that's what the warranty is for. And, besides, it's a Lexus so quality is a given. As far as the car payment, that's a personal decision, of course. My two cents... life's too short and you can't take it with you. Enjoy and put your blessings from God to good use! Everyone's net worth when we die is zero.

;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kinks....

You're very welcome, Dawn!

As far as any "kinks", that's what the warranty is for. And, besides, it's a Lexus so quality is a given. As far as the car payment, that's a personal decision, of course. My two cents... life's too short and you can't take it with you. Enjoy and put your blessings from God to good use! Everyone's net worth when we die is zero.

;)

Most kinks are worked out in the future models of the initial production. I'm not talking about kinks that can be fixed. I'm talking about kinks that are rough enough that they retool and change production. But you usually have to wait a year or two (maybe 3) for the corrections/retooling to be put in production.

My guess is that they will definitely find a way to make this car lighter. But I don't care about that. We are used to driving a 98 Mark VIII and those are pretty similar in weight.

Hopefully, there aren't any interior integrity issues....but you just don't know the first year and there is a certain amount of gamble involved when you buy the first year of any new model.

But I'm still willing to take that chance....I think...(tee hee).

Dawn

·
Registered
28 Posts
So far after six months I haven't had any issues with anything. I have owned 6 Lexus vehicles. Never the slightest problem or issue. I don't really anticipate any with the first run RC. I have the "Base" RC 350 AWD. I have it for the same reasons you want it for. Looks, comfort, fun to drive beyond belief and for daily use. It does not have the wide grill but I didn't like the wide grill personally. There didn't seem to be a whole lot of difference in price, but I live in Michigan so I went with the Base AWD. I have had 3 of the LS models and impossible to drive in even damp weather with rear wheel drive. If you live in any area with nasty weather the AWD is really fabulous in snow and wet and would be a good consideration if you are driving it on a daily basis. As for color, I do have the silver with black interior. Paid cash. Hate care payments also, besides, I keep my cars a long time. Anyway that is my 2 cents and hope it helps you in your decision in some way. Either way, you will be happy. By the way I didn't even plan on buying a car. I happened to go to the showroom the day after Thanksgiving, and saw it. No way I was walking away with out it, so I know how you feel. It is quick, smooth and comfortable and above all fun especially when you get on those county roads with no one in sight and can really open it up an play with it. Love everything about it, and am sure what ever your choice is, you will also enjoy it to no end.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks....

So far after six months I haven't had any issues with anything. I have owned 6 Lexus vehicles. Never the slightest problem or issue. I don't really anticipate any with the first run RC. I have the "Base" RC 350 AWD. I have it for the same reasons you want it for. Looks, comfort, fun to drive beyond belief and for daily use. It does not have the wide grill but I didn't like the wide grill personally. There didn't seem to be a whole lot of difference in price, but I live in Michigan so I went with the Base AWD. I have had 3 of the LS models and impossible to drive in even damp weather with rear wheel drive. If you live in any area with nasty weather the AWD is really fabulous in snow and wet and would be a good consideration if you are driving it on a daily basis. As for color, I do have the silver with black interior. Paid cash. Hate care payments also, besides, I keep my cars a long time. Anyway that is my 2 cents and hope it helps you in your decision in some way. Either way, you will be happy. By the way I didn't even plan on buying a car. I happened to go to the showroom the day after Thanksgiving, and saw it. No way I was walking away with out it, so I know how you feel. It is quick, smooth and comfortable and above all fun especially when you get on those county roads with no one in sight and can really open it up an play with it. Love everything about it, and am sure what ever your choice is, you will also enjoy it to no end.

I'm guessing you are in a very different tax bracket than many--ha! Not planning on buying a car and returning home with a $50k luxury coupe, well, you must have a little different financial situation.

We live in California....so we definitely don't want AWD. But I just love that grill. But not enough to get the sport package because of it. I see that grill and the imagine of a bull with steam coming out of the nostrils comes to mine....then I see a red cape....well, you get the picture. I have no idea why that grill does that, but it does.

We will put $30k down and get a loan for $20k. I just can't get the "if you get a car loan for more than 36 months--YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT" out of my head from everyone from Suze Orman to Dave Ramsey. It's just sound financial advice and I'm still trying to wrap my brain around handing over $30k. It's more money than I have EVER spent on a car period, let alone a down payment on one.

Feeling one step closer.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
It is very hard to give advice on financial stuff as everyone's situation is different. I own six cars, all of them more or less piece of crap cars (but I need them all with two kids and a second home far away), except my RC350 F sport I got a few weeks back. I absolutely love it, I went way overboard, it has every single option expect the back spoiler. Yes, including the Mark Levinson stereo that I would implore everyone to get, it's a $1000 option but it is worth twice as much easily, it is truly an incredible value, it still blows my mind.

My point is that if this is your chance to get what you truly want, and you can afford it, go for it all. Don't trap yourself into thinking you should skimp here and there, then I would go for a slightly less expensive car and then get everything I want in it. I have never been more sure I did the right thing and I don't have a history of buying expensive cars.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
It is very hard to give advice on financial stuff as everyone's situation is different. I own six cars, all of them more or less piece of crap cars (but I need them all with two kids and a second home far away), except my RC350 F sport I got a few weeks back. I absolutely love it, I went way overboard, it has every single option expect the back spoiler. Yes, including the Mark Levinson stereo that I would implore everyone to get, it's a $1000 option but it is worth twice as much easily, it is truly an incredible value, it still blows my mind.

My point is that if this is your chance to get what you truly want, and you can afford it, go for it all. Don't trap yourself into thinking you should skimp here and there, then I would go for a slightly less expensive car and then get everything I want in it. I have never been more sure I did the right thing and I don't have a history of buying expensive cars.
Biggest thing is to live below your means... too many folks that get a good job or promotion jump right into expensive purchases instead of pocketing or investing the money.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Definitely....

Biggest thing is to live below your means... too many folks that get a good job or promotion jump right into expensive purchases instead of pocketing or investing the money.
We've always lived below our means. And when everyone else was using their house as an ATM, only to cry foul with the fall of the mortgage woes in 2006ish, we knew most of them were silent about the $100k they blew.

Anyway, we can definitely afford this car because we have no bills other than our mortgage. It was getting over having a car payment after having no car payment for so many years. But we are going to put $30k down and finance the rest for 3 years and take advantage of .9% financing.

Here is the tough part! They don't have Infrared in the Flaxen/Playa interior in CALIFORNIA!!!!

I'm not giving up though...and I am not settling for black interior. We could be driving one right now if I was okay with black interior.

There has to be a Luxury model out there or coming soon.

But I'm not paying this much to settle for a color that I don't want.

Bummer though...maybe for Christmas.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's what I meant with the phrase "...and you can afford it". Perhaps a clearer way of conveying what I tried to say is, if you cannot afford the car equipped like you want it, don't buy it. I've lived below my means for 50 years, this is the one major unnecessary, impractical splurge I've afforded myself in my life (yes it was a turning 50 gift to myself, how is that for a stereotype) and it has brought me immense pleasure. Much to my surprise actually since I'm such a tight a$$ financially. But I do feel that if I had nickled and dimed it, the pleasure would have been severely diminished.

This may sound either irresponsible or arrogant, but it is pretty much a fact that if spending $50K or $55K on a car like this makes a difference, you are already probably making a bad decision.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My advice: custom order it. Yes, it will take 90 day until you have it but the anticipation is sweet. There is something to be said for gratification delayed. And you get what you want. Exactly! Not approximated. I had to do it because the Mark Levinson was not optional for me and almost no car on the lots have it for some reason. Makes no sense to me but that's the way it was, at least in my region.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Definitely.....

My advice: custom order it. Yes, it will take 90 day until you have it but the anticipation is sweet. There is something to be said for gratification delayed. And you get what you want. Exactly! Not approximated. I had to do it because the Mark Levinson was not optional for me and almost no car on the lots have it for some reason. Makes no sense to me but that's the way it was, at least in my region.

I knew exactly what you meant. You are correct--if you can afford $50k then you can afford $55k. But I am also a pretty good shopper and that extra $5k looks a lot better on Cathay Pacific to Thailand in Business Class this year than it does in a salesman's bank account!

Great news! I found a dealer that went the extra mile. He secured the ONE car available in Texas that was not accounted for and is having it shipped to California. Should be on CA soil by August 10th and in No. California a week later. I got EVERYTHING I wanted and STILL got $5,500 off MSRP.

Super excited....can't wait to take delivery. Car buying sure has changed. I haven't even stepped foot into dealership....let alone deal with the whole bait and switch. Internet car buying has been an awesome experience, thus far.

I will have my RC to put my vanity plates on it after all - DAWNS RC.

:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Fantastic! That a **** of a deal and I am really happy you got all you wanted in it, that is key, at least to me. And I hope you get to Thailand as well, it's a frequent travel spot of mine and always lovely. In fact my daughter is going there later this year to enjoy and work. Anyway, enjoy your car!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.