Lexus RC350 & RCF Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got a new RC Fsport and was looking at the lexus suggested maintenance. I was very surprised they want me to bring it in for maintenance every 5,000 miles. This seems overkill, especially considering what they do between the 10,000 mile oil change.

I was wondering does anyone actually service their RC every 5,000 miles? I plan to service mine every 10,000.

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/info/my-lexus/service/maintenance-schedule.do

·
Registered
103 Posts
just got a new RC Fsport and was looking at the lexus suggested maintenance. I was very surprised they want me to bring it in for maintenance every 5,000 miles. This seems overkill, especially considering what they do between the 10,000 mile oil change.

I was wondering does anyone actually service their RC every 5,000 miles? I plan to service mine every 10,000.

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/info/my-lexus/service/maintenance-schedule.do
I work for Lexus... Yes every one year or 10k you need to change your oil.... Yes you need to go in every 5K... if something ever happens to your Lexus and it needs work done (warranty work) The dealer is more inclined to help you, where as if you miss a lot of services there is a way we dont have to honor the so called "warranty" work because you have not responsibly maintained your vehicle.....It is up to you my friend but just a heads up

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input, on a side note, i've been trying to determine if we have synthetic oil in the RC. I didn't see any mention of it in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks for the input, on a side note, i've been trying to determine if we have synthetic oil in the RC. I didn't see any mention of it in the owner's manual.
are you capable of performing minor maintenance yourself? You could always perform the small items yourself and bring it in for oil service to maintain face at the dealer?

·
Registered
103 Posts
are you capable of performing minor maintenance yourself? You could always perform the small items yourself and bring it in for oil service to maintain face at the dealer?
Yes but it doesn't matter if you do all the maintenance yourself perfectly, it still wasn't done by the dealer and they have no record of it...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes but it doesn't matter if you do all the maintenance yourself perfectly, it still wasn't done by the dealer and they have no record of it...
they can't void my warranty for completing my own maintenance. They don't need a record of it, if the work was done its evident its been done...mechanics aren't dumb...

·
Registered
103 Posts
they can't void my warranty for completing my own maintenance. They don't need a record of it, if the work was done its evident its been done...mechanics aren't dumb...
Look man I am just trying to help you...complete your maintenance yourself or at a Jiffy lube for all i care, im just saying Mechanics get paid more for non warranty work.... Do as you please.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
I change my oil very 5K and it's not a big deal. If you do it yourself just have a log of what was done, and keep the receipts as proof it was done. They can't say it's not done if you have proof, but can if you can't prove it was done. I had a issue where a dealer said I didn't do the required maintenance, and I proved that I did, and they had to fix the issue.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yeah it's not hard to keep track of it, just need your receipt showing the oil and filter you bought, with them seeing that long with the frequency in dates from one oil change to the next... they can't say ish!

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
i went about it a similar way with my other cars.
just kept receipts and service records from independent shops i services my vehicles at

·
Registered
7 Posts
Maintenance Frequency

I know it says every 5000 miles, however, I brought mine in at 3K and had the oil changed and tires rotated. Probably overkill but you want to know what, I could care less. I am comfortable with that schedule and it works for me......

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I know it says every 5000 miles, however, I brought mine in at 3K and had the oil changed and tires rotated. Probably overkill but you want to know what, I could care less. I am comfortable with that schedule and it works for me......
One downside to getting an early first oil change done, from what I heard is, it might do more harm than good as the oil new cars come with are apparently specially blended for the engines break in process. But then again there's the other concern about ridding of the initial build up of metal shavings, motivation for an early first oil change.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had my ride in for an issue around 1800 mi and I had them change the oil. they said there wasn't any special break-in used. I certainly wasn't going to let it go 10k before the first change. As an engineer, I have a real hard time believing the the fine particles that come off during break-in are ok to leave in the oil that long. Yes synthetic oil can last the 10k mi but you also change oil to get rid of the contaminates (water, increased acidity etc) and particulates that the filter isn't catching. I plan on being buried in this car so i'll probably be changing it every 5k :)

The oil change was only $10 more than what i pay for a synthetic change at the Valvoline shop for my wife's car. Pretty good deal and it's on your maintenance record.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Personally, I'd say every 10k is fine but it also comes down to how hard you drive your car and if you're a maintenance freak. It's all based on preference but it does come down to a point that you could be wasting money on oil and service parts. As technology in engines and cars rise so does the quality of oil and the service parts (oil filter, air filter etc). So I guess it would be go to find a balance, like every 8k?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I had my ride in for an issue around 1800 mi and I had them change the oil. they said there wasn't any special break-in used. I certainly wasn't going to let it go 10k before the first change. As an engineer, I have a real hard time believing the the fine particles that come off during break-in are ok to leave in the oil that long. Yes synthetic oil can last the 10k mi but you also change oil to get rid of the contaminates (water, increased acidity etc) and particulates that the filter isn't catching. I plan on being buried in this car so i'll probably be changing it every 5k :)

The oil change was only $10 more than what i pay for a synthetic change at the Valvoline shop for my wife's car. Pretty good deal and it's on your maintenance record.
That has me thinking we should start talking about types of oil to use, I've used Motul for a while in some of my vehicles and would be what I use in an RC.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I went in at 7500 they forgot the cabin air filter change and put bulk oil in my RC350F. I had to change it myself after I got home, could not be leave how dark the oil was that they left in. RT 10 Lexus I would not recommend them for regular service.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I work for Lexus... Yes every one year or 10k you need to change your oil.... Yes you need to go in every 5K... if something ever happens to your Lexus and it needs work done (warranty work) The dealer is more inclined to help you, where as if you miss a lot of services there is a way we dont have to honor the so called "warranty" work because you have not responsibly maintained your vehicle.....It is up to you my friend but just a heads up

I respectfully disagree with you. I'm 47 and I've owned many cars over my lifetime. Every 5K is overkill and all it does is provide steady income for the dealership. I skipped my 5K service but took it in for the complimentary 10K service. They gave me no grief over my opinion. Also, there's no way I'm paying $220 for a fully synthetic oil change and tire rotation at 20K (that's what my dealership charges) when I can go to Lube Stop and get a fully synthetic Mobil 1 oil change and tire rotation for around $100. Plus, I'm in and out in around 30 minutes instead of sitting at the dealership for 2 1/2 hours. Lastly, no manufacture can refuse to cover warranty work just because you don't have your car serviced and said manufacturer's dealership. As long as you go to a licensed service facility and have proof of said service, the manufacturer MUST honor your warranty and cover your vehicle. I've never had a problem with warranty coverage and I never go to the dealership for scheduled maintenance because, quite frankly, all dealerships charge way too much.

No disrespect to you. Just voicing my opinion from my personal experiences.

·
Registered
65 Posts
no manufacture can refuse to cover warranty work just because you don't have your car serviced and said manufacturer's dealership. As long as you go to a licensed service facility and have proof of said service, the manufacturer MUST honor your warranty and cover your vehicle
This. Having worked at a dealership, and majority of my social circle working at various other dealerships, this is the key thing to look at.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts