Lexus RC350 & RCF Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading a news article about new RC 350 details, and some things surprised me.

- The RC 350 is not based off of the IS 350. It is actually based off of the Lexus GS line. AS far as I know, the IS is also based off of the GS line, so the two share suspension, drive train, and other components. I guess this really comes down to semantics.

- The RC 350 will have a shorter wheelbase than the IS 350. The RC 350's wheelbase is 107", 3" shorter than the IS 350's. This will give a sportier look to the RC in comparison to the IS.

- The RC350 will be an inch and a half longer than the BMW 435i (which is 182.6") and a half an inch longer wider than the BMW 4-Series. Even so, the RC 350's wheel base is shorter than both these vehicles.

- The RC 350 will receive a power bump over the IS 350. 8 more horsepower and 3 more lb-ft of torque bring the RC 350's figures up to 314 hp and 280 lb-ft of torque. That is 14 more horsepower than the BMW 435i (and slightly less torque.) It is dramatically more power and torque than the similarly priced BMW 428i.

- All engine variants of the RC 350 will come with the choice of FWD or AWD.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
RC350R?

I never heard of an RC350R model, i thought they would use F after the numbers to signify a performance package

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm just glad to hear that the RC350 is going to be more powerful than the IS. The RC350 is going to be such a great car. I hope that it lives up to expectations.

·
Banned
742 Posts
Its true lighter is better. But i do know that with the G37 twins the sedan was actually lighter than the coupe. Don't ask me why, they just were.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Its true lighter is better. But i do know that with the G37 twins the sedan was actually lighter than the coupe. Don't ask me why, they just were.
thats weird
can't even being to think what would factor into that happening.
clearly in this case the IS is lighter than the RC.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I feel like the RC350 will be lighter than the IS. Two doors less. At the very least I think it will weigh about the same as the IS. Either way the RC350 will go faster, and that is the fun part.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I feel like the RC350 will be lighter than the IS. Two doors less. At the very least I think it will weigh about the same as the IS. Either way the RC350 will go faster, and that is the fun part.
the RC350 is on a bigger platform and seems to have more going on, seems more weighted down. We'll have to wait for official weight figures.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
it's a 2014-2015 model
chances are we can expect more info mid 2014, hopefully sooner, like at the detroit show.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Had another conversation with a local Lexus salesman on the RC350/RC F today. According to him, Lexus filed some 23 patents related to the use of carbon fiber when they designed the LFA. He expects some of that tech to find its way into the RC series, which with the deltion of two doors, should make for lighter weight. We'll have to wait to see by how much...

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Had another conversation with a local Lexus salesman on the RC350/RC F today. According to him, Lexus filed some 23 patents related to the use of carbon fiber when they designed the LFA. He expects some of that tech to find its way into the RC series, which with the deltion of two doors, should make for lighter weight. We'll have to wait to see by how much...
Sounds about right. Im sure we'll see some of the LFA's CF tech in the RC-F, if not, some versions of it. After all the RC-F will be a $100k car, meanwhile the LFA is $300k plus.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Never made sense to me either. But the G coupe did have some bigger proportions which could have factored into it, kind of like the 2014 IS and Lexus RC

1 - 20 of 20 Posts