Lexus RC350 & RCF Forum banner

Would you want a DIY for Installing Lexus RC/RCF 2015 Illuminated door sill plates

• Yes:

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • No:

Votes: 4 30.8%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I just picked up a pair of Lexus RC/RCF 2015 Illuminated door sill plates to install in my RC 350. These replace you current ones. Would anyone be interested in a DIY so that they can do this for them selves?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I can't really tell how they are illuminated from the picture that you posted. Is the whole thing lit up or is it just the Lexus name?

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't really tell how they are illuminated from the picture that you posted. Is the whole thing lit up or is it just the Lexus name?
Just the Lexus name. Once I have them in I'll post a better picture for you to see.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Not bad at all, i like how simple it is, just wish their was more going on with it, like say a thin outline all around it where light can go through ;)

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not bad at all, i like how simple it is, just wish their was more going on with it, like say a thin outline all around it where light can go through ;)
Yea that would have been nice, but you know less is more. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I see what you mean. There is potential for something a bit better here, but I also appreciate them not over designing. Might depend what color exterior and interior you have going on. Sometimes you want to keep things simple when you already made a statement with colors.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see what you mean. There is potential for something a bit better here, but I also appreciate them not over designing. Might depend what color exterior and interior you have going on. Sometimes you want to keep things simple when you already made a statement with colors.
Exactly. :D

·
Registered
354 Posts
I agree, it's just my preference, not something for everyone, but it is something that would add a nice little extra without being too extra at the same time.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree, it's just my preference, not something for everyone, but it is something that would add a nice little extra without being too extra at the same time.
Agreed.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have to admit that does look nice.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree, that does look nice, and shows that less is not more, less is less and always will be. One thing you can do, I presume, is modify the light source to generate a different color from the standard white/blue. I have an Infrared car with flaxen (down home we call that brown) interior, which is mostly black, of course, and I am thinking that a red LED as the light source might be a nice touch. If the lights can't be changed out for some reason, any kind of translucent film could be placed under the sill to generate the desired effect. (For a wide choice, go to a theater supply house and get a piece of "gel," the material placed at the front of a stage light - it is available in thousands of colors.)

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree, that does look nice, and shows that less is not more, less is less and always will be. One thing you can do, I presume, is modify the light source to generate a different color from the standard white/blue. I have an Infrared car with flaxen (down home we call that brown) interior, which is mostly black, of course, and I am thinking that a red LED as the light source might be a nice touch. If the lights can't be changed out for some reason, any kind of translucent film could be placed under the sill to generate the desired effect. (For a wide choice, go to a theater supply house and get a piece of "gel," the material placed at the front of a stage light - it is available in thousands of colors.)
I'll see when I get mine if it looks as though the LED source can be taken out, and post a pic of it. Now I'll not be taking mine apart mind you, but I will post a pic of the underside so you all can see if it can be taken apart. Yes, the translucent film could work, but we have to remember if the light is already a blue/white you'll just have to experiment with different colors to produce the light you want.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I'll see when I get mine if it looks as though the LED source can be taken out, and post a pic of it. Now I'll not be taking mine apart mind you, but I will post a pic of the underside so you all can see if it can be taken apart. Yes, the translucent film could work, but we have to remember if the light is already a blue/white you'll just have to experiment with different colors to produce the light you want.
Just got mine in and it does not look like you can get out the LCD screen. I've attached a couple of pics. The max upload of a PDF is 20K, and so I've put in a link to the Club Lexus website where I have been able to upload them.

Link to the Instructions start on Post #17 if you are interested.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-first-generation/773084-lexus-rc-rcf-2015-illuminated-door-sill-plates-2.html

Attachments

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've got the driver sill installed and I think it looks good. The outer sill is replaced by just a black blank, and the illuminated sill is moved to the interior sill.

Couple of things I'll mention. I did not disconnect the battery, and I did not disconnect the connector as instructed in Part II, pg. 7. I was able to put on a T-tap and hook up the wires that way. On page 8, fig. 2-4 it shows the Violet wire, pin 1, on the right of the connector. That is only true if you disconnect the connector and twist it so that what you are seeing is just the plug end and not the wire end. If you leave the connector connected then Pin 1 is on the bottom left as shown in the pics I've uploaded. I cut the black tape that was around the wires in the connector to get better access.

Disclaimer: This is what I did as it is my car, and I do not take responsibility for what you do or don't do. If you are not comfortable not disconnecting the battery, and the connectors then follow the instructions.

With that being said I've uploaded a few pics that will show you how it looks on my car fro the driver's side. It's not that hard and I did it in my garage when the driver door wasn't even fully opened. From start to finish it took me less than an hour for just the driver side.

Just take your time, especially when taking off the trim panels, and as you can see from the Inner Sill removed pic towards the front and rear are the bottom sill plates that the top one will sit on. Just be sure to get the plastic pry bar under only the top one when trying to remove otherwise you will break the bottom plastic piece.

Good luck.

Attachments

Reactions: spoonful

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Error on page 12 of Passenger side Sill instructions

those look fantastic, cheers peter!
Thanks spoonful. :)

I installed the Passenger side, and the instructions say to use the green wire, there are three, on pin 14.

Problem is there is no green wire on pin 14. After a bit of trouble shooting I found that the wire on pin 11 is the correct one. Also the diagram indicates there are 19 pins on that side, and on my car there are only 16. See the pic.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts