Lexus RC350 & RCF Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Ben Barry from CAR Magazine was ready to write off the RC F in his recent comparison article but disliking the Lexus was harder than he originally thought. Sure the RC F Carbon Edition costs £8k more than the £60k RC F for that 10kg in weight savings, thus putting it £11k above the BMW M4 and £34k Mustang but it makes up for it in other areas.

The luxurious alacantra and leather bolster seats will hold you in place while you maneuver the coupe around bends with its small and tactile steering wheel. The driver’s seating position could be lower but its current seating height is sufficient. Where the RCF really shines is with its V8 and drive feel.

Under the hood is a naturally aspirated 5.0 litre V8 engine that “emits a silky, restrained hum.” While the sound may be restrained, the power is anything but. With an engine output of 471bhp at 7100rpm and 391lb ft of torque at 4800-5600rpm, the RC F is generally leading the bunch, only coming in second to the BMW M4 in terms or torque by a meager 15lb ft. Following behind is the Mustang and while it is a great deal cheaper than both the Lexus and BMW, its power and chassis was made to feel like a starter Mustang as a compromise.

As for the RC F’s gearbox, it is not as light as the M4’s and it could be a smidge cheaper but Ben still found it engaging especially in Sport S or Sport S+ mode. The increased throttle response and quick acceleration will bring “an enhanced sense of connectivity” to the driver.

When given the option to drive home in one, the Lexus RC F was chosen without hesitation.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I wouldn't compare the mustang GT to the other two. For driving, sure, but for all the other luxury bits, it just isn't a relevant comparison.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
This is good for when looking at bang for buck power but I there's just so much more going on about these that I wouldn't even being to compare. For one the RC is a GT car, M4 is a true sports car.

·
Registered
354 Posts
For me it actually came down to the mustang GT and the RC. Was going back and forth til the very end.
Now that is a much more decent comparison since Ford has stepped up the Mustang into more GT levels but still maintaining its sportiness.

Wouldn't be too surprised to see someone jump from RC-F to GT350 or even something more/less offered of the Mustang.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
10pg discussion on this over at CL, definitely the RC-F vs Mustang GT.

One way to justify the Mustang is aftermarket, it's bound to pick up more sales and in that process have stronger aftermarket support... it's a **** MUSTANG after all. So those looking for tuning ability on just about the largest scale in this segment should give it a serious look.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.