Lexus RC350 & RCF Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we knew the RC-F was going to NEED one if it had a hope or prayer of competing with the M4, seems like Lexus may of been thinking along the same lines...

From Motoring Aus

One project Leupen revealed was the development of what he called a manual-shift gearbox (presumably a dual clutch) for the new generation RC F/IS F drivetrain. He also mentioned development of hybrid technology for the next generation IS F using a manual-shift gearbox.

“That car might be two or three years away but when it does come you will find it has been developed by TMG.”
Although it may not be of the three pedal variety, its possible we get a two pedal flippy paddle affair...

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Is there something that makes it more difficult to make a manual hybrid? Seems like Lexus has this in their plans for the future though. I imagine that that would get a fairly good take rate. At least enough for it to be worthwhile for them to make it.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
the mention of TMG is interesting because i have seen a TMG LS and wonder if they ever plan on bringing that TMG nameplate to a production level or not. It seems to be something that could take on that direction.

·
Banned
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the mention of TMG is interesting because i have seen a TMG LS and wonder if they ever plan on bringing that TMG nameplate to a production level or not. It seems to be something that could take on that direction.
TMG is the Toyota Motorsport Gmbh, they run all Toyota Racing including the LeMans team. Which makes me think that Toyota and Lexus may be getting a little more than serious when it comes to performance derivatives. M and AMD are MUCH more than TRD and F are right now. AMG is actually a subsidiary of Daimler and not simple divison like TRD and F are. It means they have complete control.

Great signs if TMG is going to be bred as their new performance arm...

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
that is so true but finally lexus started to offer up some good performance with it's F models, starting with the is-f. the rc-f and gs-f look killer and seem like they're worthy enough of going after the germans

TMG becoming their performance arm would be my dream come true, imagine a TMG FT1 Supra!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Would there be a TMG FT1 Supra as well as a regular FT1 Supra? It seems to me that the FT1 Supra, whether it gets a TMG moniker or not, will have TMG involved in its creation.

·
Banned
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that is so true but finally lexus started to offer up some good performance with it's F models, starting with the is-f. the rc-f and gs-f look killer and seem like they're worthy enough of going after the germans

TMG becoming their performance arm would be my dream come true, imagine a TMG FT1 Supra!
Agreed F has started to produce more interesting product but you have to admit that F is no where near the level of involvement and transformation as M and AMG are...

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Agreed F has started to produce more interesting product but you have to admit that F is no where near the level of involvement and transformation as M and AMG are...
well of course it's not
and no one should even bring that up
amg, m, etc have been around for over decades, give lexus some time and they will be up to par with the germans or at the least, much closer than any non german car maker.

·
Banned
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well of course it's not
and no one should even bring that up
amg, m, etc have been around for over decades, give lexus some time and they will be up to par with the germans or at the least, much closer than any non german car maker.
So what? Audi's S or RS whatever their performance division calls themselves is Nascent compared to AMG and M, yet they still have a relatively robust program. Its about the effort put in not how long they've been around...

Mopar is older than both AMG and M yet what do they do ;) TRD hasn't done a serious thing for years, NISMO is a sticker package now and Mugen is what? See what I mean... its product always about product...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts