Lexus RC350 & RCF Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automo Blog has driven both the RC F and the RC 350 and here's how they compare the two:

If the new Lexus RC F Coupe was the hot Chipotle BBQ flavor, the 2015 Lexus RC 350 Coupe is the medium flavor but still very tasty.
We ate until our hearts were content.

We’ve driven both now but we would pick the milder version over the hotter RC F as the best for performance for the dollar. There’s plenty of competition out there for performance from the Audi A5, BMW 4 Series, Mercedes-Benz C-Class coupe, and Cadillac ATS coupe but the Lexus holds its own
Of course there's more to the review than this it's an amusing way to sum up their findings. Here's the full review: 2015 Lexus RC 350 F SPORT Coupe Review

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
This review...

Are we really comparing cars to "hot Chipotle BBQ flavors"? Is that really telling us anything?

How did he test the car? By licking it?

·
Registered
354 Posts
This review...

Are we really comparing cars to "hot Chipotle BBQ flavors"? Is that really telling us anything?

Seems like they're trying to say is, it doesn't sit at the top of its segment and not at the bottom but slots right into the middle after comparing it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Their plenty more to the review than their odd comparison and it's great for giving people a general idea on the differences between the RC 350 and the RF F.

The Lexus RC 350 handled extremely well in the curves as we tested the coupe on mountain roads. The 306hp V6 has enough power for most driving enthusiasts and we had no problem powering past slower drivers going up I-70, into the mountains, at altitude.
If you want the more “torquey” response of the turbocharged engines used by rivals, you may want to look elsewhere, but the naturally aspirated engine in the Lexus RC 350 has a smooth, linear acceleration feel suited for daily driving.

ECO mode, predictably, feels wimpy as its primary goal is fuel economy.

However, we spent most of the week in Normal mode which is good for commuting, but when we turned the dial to Sport, the RC 350 came alive. We were able to use the paddle shifters and change gears manually for spirited driving.

·
Registered
101 Posts
This review...

Parallel thinking and pattern recognition are the hallmarks of intelligence...

The technical term is a similie ;)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I am aware of what a simile is (which you spelt wrong by the way -- good spelling is also a hallmark of intelligence).

The thing I am having a problem with is why we are comparing to this particular flavor. I have no opinion or knowledge of this flavor and so the simile doesn't really mean much to me.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I am aware of what a simile is (which you spelt wrong by the way -- good spelling is also a hallmark of intelligence).

The thing I am having a problem with is why we are comparing to this particular flavor. I have no opinion or knowledge of this flavor and so the simile doesn't really mean much to me.
Well then, thanks to spell check i'm intelligent as fawk! ;)

What to you would be better for a comparison, something you're familiar with?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Flavors aside, I think it's a great review. Was not aware that the RC 350 had a Snow Drive Mode. It also needs premium fuel to run but that shouldn't be an issue for most of us because we're already paying around 55k for it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Flavors aside, I think it's a great review. Was not aware that the RC 350 had a Snow Drive Mode. It also needs premium fuel to run but that shouldn't be an issue for most of us because we're already paying around 55k for it.
Yeah that's given, with the engine it has there's just about no choice other than premium, not sure what the effect would be of tuning it for regular but i trust the call they made here.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Never actually heard of anyone tuning their engines for regular fuel as most people I know just follow the company fuel suggestion. What are the general issues accompanying that change?
Also think the Navigation package is negligible ($2,610) because I have my own GPS along with Google maps on my phone.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Never actually heard of anyone tuning their engines for regular fuel as most people I know just follow the company fuel suggestion. What are the general issues accompanying that change?
Also think the Navigation package is negligible ($2,610) because I have my own GPS along with Google maps on my phone.
Is the navigation system only the navigation system, or is it any more than that? $2,610+ seems expensive for that when your phone does exactly the same thing, probably better.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It also includes the Lexus Enform connection services but I'm not sure if you have to subscribe to it or not after the first year. Enform includes safety connect, service connect, remote, destinations and app suites. They go into more detail on their official site: Lexus Enform

I still think it's negligible.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I think that navigation should almost be standard on luxury vehicles. Really, its just a maps program, and considering that is absolutely free on your phone, I don't see how Lexus can justify this cost.

I think the real problem is Google has an amazing maps program, but it didn't happen over night. Unless companies make a deal with Google (likely for AndroidAuto), it is a big cost and effort to do your very own maps and navigation system.

Another way Google is positioned well to have an influence in the auto industry in the future.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts