Lexus RC350 & RCF Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lexus volumes are going back up, up way.

Lexus is returning as a main competitor in the luxury car sales race.

Mostly dominated by BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Audi in recent years, a recent report from Bloomberg shows that Lexus might actually be the best-selling luxury brand in America, despite sales figures showing differently.

Through April, Mercedes reported 107,344 in sales while BMW said its sold 105,444 units. Lexus on the other hand, has reported 103,056 in sales but registration numbers in the U.S. tell a different story.

In fact, according to IHS Automotive, the Japanese automaker leads U.S. registrations with 106,549 while the BMW brand has 103,581 and Mercedes is at 103,393. Interestingly enough, that’s a complete flip compared to the sales figures.

The discrepancy between registrations and sales is caused by vehicles being reported as sold when delivered to dealerships instead of only to consumers. Sales figures are typically reported immediately and month-to-month differences typically smooth over time. Through April 2015, Lexus is the only brand that had more registered vehicles than sales.

Helping contribute to the Lexus brand’s resurgence in the luxury car sales race is its new NX crossover, an affordable offering in a growing and highly competitive segment.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Strange how when you manipulate the data and what you are measuring you can make it so that different brands are the best selling. I'm glad that Lexus is out selling the Germans though. I think that getting beat or at least having the Japanese nipping at their heels will keep the luxury car industry on its toes and push itself to be more innovative.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I personally believe that it all comes down to looks... who's got the fresh, new look... who's got the sportier look, etc. The new Lexus vehicles look amazing in my opinion. And, this is the first Toyota (Lexus) that I've ever owned. I'm not one of those brand loyal types. I just like what I like. The RC350 was it for me because I LOVE the looks, it's sporty with decent power and the AWD was a must due to living in Northeast Ohio. The new Lexus looks seem to make the other luxury brands look a little outdated. Thus, the reason sales are up comparatively.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I personally believe that it all comes down to looks... who's got the fresh, new look... who's got the sportier look, etc. The new Lexus vehicles look amazing in my opinion. And, this is the first Toyota (Lexus) that I've ever owned. I'm not one of those brand loyal types. I just like what I like. The RC350 was it for me because I LOVE the looks, it's sporty with decent power and the AWD was a must due to living in Northeast Ohio. The new Lexus looks seem to make the other luxury brands look a little outdated. Thus, the reason sales are up comparatively.
That's exactly it from what i've observed, with all if not most brands coming out with crazy designs, if you're not doing THAT, you'll be left out.

They have to do it to keep up with the times.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree that Lexus looks have changed and that is why I switched. It also doesn't hurt that my 2013 ML 350 is loaded with problems from the get go and so many of my friends have BMW's which have even more problems. So I was happy to make the switch to a very reliable car!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I think that the looks are definitely a big part of it, but I also think that quality is a big part of it as well. That is both actual quality and perceived quality.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You also can't forget that MErcedes is overhauling two massive volume models for them right now the GLK and ML (GLC and GLE) its possible there is pent up demand there, while Lexus has been humming full bore since before the new year.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
You also can't forget that MErcedes is overhauling two massive volume models for them right now the GLK and ML (GLC and GLE) its possible there is pent up demand there, while Lexus has been humming full bore since before the new year.
That is true. We could see Mercedes jump ahead if their new models prove to be quite successful. Does Lexus have any big releases queued up for the rest of the year?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is true. We could see Mercedes jump ahead if their new models prove to be quite successful. Does Lexus have any big releases queued up for the rest of the year?
The RX seemed to be just about it for now till the next Lexus LS and LC come out, both big vehicles.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
If all Lexus wanted was to out sell their rivals, they should have built a new large SUV instead of the RC350. At least that is what one of their execs said. I think that Lexus isn't totally committed to outselling their rivals, they have other priorities.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts