Lexus RC350 & RCF Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pics of my 2015 RC 350 F Sport AWD with some unintended mods, thanks to an out of control 2002 Chevy Suburban that spun into my wife on May 27. Just hoping they total it, but not expecting it...

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Holy moly I hope shes alright ?! But by the looks of it, that should be a total. Only because of the quarter-panel section. I don't see them attempting to cut it all out and re-welding a replacement. That's a lot of work and money. That along with the suspension damages and potentially whatever else is underneath.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She was a bit banged up - hit her head hard on the door frame and snapped her neck to the left. She seems to be doing ok at the moment.

Re: the quarter panel, that's what I've been wondering - since that appears to be one big piece that goes up to the roof and over the door, how do they fix it unless they cut it out and weld a partial panel in place, which I don't like the sound of. Not to mention the suspension and likely axle damage. I think the determining factor will be if there is any frame/cradle damage... not looking forward to getting a car back that has been this badly damaged. Would rather see it totaled and take my chances trying to find something to replace it!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Darnn I'm terribly sorry to hear that, hopefully she recovers quickly.

The only way to fix that quarter panel properly will be to cut it out and re-weld a replacement.

I would hate for them to say that they can fix it and give it back, I would be extremely uneasy about that.

Would you grab another RC 350 F Sport though ?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Prayers for your wife's recovery.

Did any of the airbags go off? If so, that'll help your chances for a total.

Best wishes!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Depends on how much it'll cost to repair everything. Total loss is when the cost to repair the RC350 is higher than the actual cash value of it. Looks like a lot of damage to me and may be cheaper for the insurance company to scrap it.

All the best.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Definitely happy to hear the wife is doing alright. Pains me quite a bit to look at the pictures however. Based off of first glance I would say complete total, guaranteed the underside is gonna be mangled quite a bit as well

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the prayers and comments folks!

It's been 2 1/2 weeks and still don't have a completed estimate from the Lexus body shop. Initial estimate from State Farm was $14059. But they didn't put it on a lift to look underneath, nor did they take into account paint damage on the right side due to being knocked into tree branches. I saw a few substantial scratches on that side. Their estimate basically calls for patchwork paint repairs, and with Infrared that worries me a LOT.

The Lexus rep told me they'll just cut out the damaged quarter panel and weld a replacement piece in its place. Not excited at all about that. I doubt it's going to be totaled, but we'll see. Not sure I want it back after these substantial repairs, honestly.

Wife loved the car, so we may get another one if we can find same color, and similar options (this was AWD) but may opt for RWD to get better mileage!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Sorry to see that happened but at least a lesson can be learned about it and what to look out for when driving, since a lot of times we can avoid a lot of situations or save ourselves from harm.

Keep us posted on how recovery goes and the whole process leading up to moving on.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Lexus cars are known to be reliable but I'm not sure how long a RC350 will last after a large repair job. Here's to hoping that it's a total loss.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The latest update on what has turned into a nightmare saga with State Farm (the at-fault party's insurance), is that they made an initial estimate of $14,059 which didn't seem at all realistic, just based on a common-sense view of the damage.

That then gave the Lexus body shop the authorization to do their supplement (or completed estimate). They came up with an estimate of $23.265 - over $9K increase, which sounded more correct to me, although admittedly just my view based on a guess...

State Farm then decided they needed to go out and re-review the car and the estimate. Then they (SF) come up with an estimate of $18,971. So I am now fighting with SF over how they take a reliable body shop's estimate and cut it by $4300! They are totally giving me the run-around.

I had SF insurance myself for probably 26 years of my life and always found them to be good to work with. But they are putting the screws to us, for an accident that wasn't our fault.

I'll let you know what happens next, when it does! Sheesh, this stinks!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had a similar situation with a 2005 Ford Escape years ago. The person who rear-ended me at 50 MPH while I was sitting still had Nationwide. They refused to total even though the vehicle had to basically be cut in half to repair. I said fine, go ahead and try to repair it but it will be perfect before I sign-off on it. Nationwide told me that I had to be a little more realistic. I stood my ground and stated that I am being realistic since my car was brand new when their insured hit me (I just made my first payment). I made the body shop redo it 3 times before I signed-off on it and took it. It ended-up costing Nationwide more than it would've if they had totaled it (rental car fees included). I promptly traded the vehicle.

Best wishes!

·
Registered
65 Posts
The latest update on what has turned into a nightmare saga with State Farm (the at-fault party's insurance), is that they made an initial estimate of $14,059 which didn't seem at all realistic, just based on a common-sense view of the damage.

That then gave the Lexus body shop the authorization to do their supplement (or completed estimate). They came up with an estimate of $23.265 - over $9K increase, which sounded more correct to me, although admittedly just my view based on a guess...

State Farm then decided they needed to go out and re-review the car and the estimate. Then they (SF) come up with an estimate of $18,971. So I am now fighting with SF over how they take a reliable body shop's estimate and cut it by $4300! They are totally giving me the run-around.

I had SF insurance myself for probably 26 years of my life and always found them to be good to work with. But they are putting the screws to us, for an accident that wasn't our fault.

I'll let you know what happens next, when it does! Sheesh, this stinks!
Aw man, that definitely sounds the furthest from a pleasant experience. But nonetheless, leave it to the insurance companies to try and shaft you any which way they possibly can. But I would totally ride the route that @mrjangle did. Be a pain in their behind if you have to, but you want nothing less than what it was brand new.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Correct @Joseph. I've worked for insurance companies the last 13 years and counting. They never have the insured's or claimant's best interest at heart. It's all about money and the bottom line. Period. As my grandmother always tells me... if you don't stand-up for yourself, no one else will. Don't make it easy on them because you're the one who'll pay in the end. You'll have to disclose that it was in an accident when you trade and it'll definitely impact your trade-in value.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I'm sad to say that the big bad insurance company won... they cut the repair estimate by $5k, and that's all they would agree to pay. Since we didn't want a heavily wrecked/repaired car, we traded it, plus the repair checks in on a new 2016 RC. So a wreck that wasn't our fault ended up costing me about $15K. Of course, I didn't have to buy a new one, but there were no used 2015s within 100 miles that were blue or red, so we bit the bullet and got this one...

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
awww man I'm sorry to hear that. That's some nonsense man. That's a good chunk of money gone.. Glad to see you're at least back in an RC but at that cost, it's a real tough situation

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sorry to hear! You're only option at this point is to go after the at-fault party in a civil suit for the monies lost. And, that's a lot of money so you might want to consider it. It's an iffy situation but I've seen a few win.

At least there were no major injuries. Again, that's a lot of money but in the end it's only material. So many other more important things in life.

Congrats on the new ride! Best wishes!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts