Lexus RC350 & RCF Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Just picked up a UW / RR RC F-Sport yesterday. It is my first car with 19" and the dealer was pretty adamant that the wheel and tire protection is an "optional necessity" for this car. This is a 2-year lease and my driving habit is under 10k miles per year. I live in NNJ where the roads can be quite bad sometimes, however, I have only ever incurred curb rash on the right wheels only on my past few leases and a nail or two. I'm not sure if it's worth shelling the $995 for the tire and wheel protection or just be ready to pay out of pocket per occurrence. Wheel rash repair as $150 and I don't think I would expect to repair rims 6 times in two years or even blow out a tire and always watch the road ahead of me.

The only way it would be worthwhile is if the 19" rims are more prone to marks / pitting / blemishes from road debris or shallow pot holes where I would need to regularly have the wheels refinished (seasonally).

In consideration, would you opt for the wheel and tire protection or pass? Is it "worth" the peace of mind? Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did opt for only the tire and wheel protection ....only because of the condition of the roads in Houston and have heard of too many of my friends having issues with rims and tires .....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did opt for only the tire and wheel protection ....only because of the condition of the roads in Houston and have heard of too many of my friends having issues with rims and tires .....

Is yours a lease? How long have you had your car?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Does it only cover for damage or also for theft?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It covers cosmetic damage as well as bent rims and tires damage.

My lease is a two year lease, and I just picked up the car Friday. Just really wondering what everybody's thoughts are on the tire and rim protection and if it's worth forking out the cash on a lease.

·
Registered
55 Posts
well , i did not take about $5,000 worth of protections the dealer offered me .
and the wheel /tire combination has an excellent rim protector built into the tire itself ..just look at the tire and the very strong edge it has over the wheel ..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well , i did not take about $5,000 worth of protections the dealer offered me .
and the wheel /tire combination has an excellent rim protector built into the tire itself ..just look at the tire and the very strong edge it has over the wheel ..
Great point! I just took a look and the actual wheel is inset about 3/4" of an inch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just knowing my driving habits and past occurrences, I probably wouldn't use the whole $995 worth over two years. If I scratch a rim I usually deal with it and pay. I know I'm not going to blow a tire or bend a rim so I'm thinking the $995 would be a bit excessive. The tires do have decent rim protection and aren't as low-profile as 19s with run flats. Plus I don't drive a lot (under 10k a year).

·
Registered
154 Posts
does it cover repair of wheel and tire replacement? or only protection from when you return the car you dont get charged for it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you're on the shelf about it then one way to make paying the $995 worth it on a lease is to pay for it as MSDs instead. For example, add the $995 into the lease and pay an equivalent number of MSDs to make up for it. The money factor is reduced by .00008 for each MSD and therefore reducing the monthly lease payment. Most importantly, you will get the MSDs back when you turn the car back in. I did this to pay for the paint protection film. Instead of paying out of pocket, I paid an extra MSD which was just about equal to the cost of it. The monthly payment stayed the same and I get the money back in 3 years. If you do it this way then you have nothing to lose. I hope this helps!

JP

·
Registered
4 Posts
Question for you.... does it only cover 2 yrs or 5 yrs?

Hello all. Just picked up a UW / RR RC F-Sport yesterday. It is my first car with 19" and the dealer was pretty adamant that the wheel and tire protection is an "optional necessity" for this car. This is a 2-year lease and my driving habit is under 10k miles per year. I live in NNJ where the roads can be quite bad sometimes, however, I have only ever incurred curb rash on the right wheels only on my past few leases and a nail or two. I'm not sure if it's worth shelling the $995 for the tire and wheel protection or just be ready to pay out of pocket per occurrence. Wheel rash repair as $150 and I don't think I would expect to repair rims 6 times in two years or even blow out a tire and always watch the road ahead of me.

The only way it would be worthwhile is if the 19" rims are more prone to marks / pitting / blemishes from road debris or shallow pot holes where I would need to regularly have the wheels refinished (seasonally).

In consideration, would you opt for the wheel and tire protection or pass? Is it "worth" the peace of mind? Thanks!
Hi I just bought a RC 350 AWD F sport (from Lexus of Edison) and the dealer asked $1250.00 for 5 yr protection for tire and wheels. Was $995 for only for 2 yr protection or 5 years? I am trying to figure out if they are ripping me off with price. My brother has BMW 535 X and he said he only paid $900 for it. Please let me know ASAP. They also said the offer only will be valid from 6 days from purchasing date. :|

·
Registered
55 Posts
i think it is a rip off. last week i dorve 2,000 miles from vt to ct to fla. and other and i check my tires pressure weekly . i also drive with the tire pressure on all the time .

i have hit .last week some serious pot holes ,3 of them on the cross bronx expressway and on i95 in connecticut ,and also others such as highway "bumps" .....the pot holes very scary . i though the wheel was damaged but zero damage . i keep pressures up to specs . i had the reverbs thru my spine for about 10 minutes ........

i did not nuy the tire protection

i have had 2 nails on the right rear tire and had it rapeired at a dealer and still going strong .

·
Registered
167 Posts
How much was the nail repair? Just to see how many times you need to fix it before people can break even with their warranty cost.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts