• 1 Post By Lex Luther

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-08-2015, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
RC Phone Home...

Automotive News tells us that all new Lexus Models will regularly report their condition to dealerships, or 'phone home'.

Starting with the 2016 ES Lexus will offer Enform Service Connect, which will bundle with the larger Enform service.

The cars will submit telematics information regarding their conditions and mileage to Lexus dealerships. Unclear if they will go to the home dealership, or any and all dealers within a certain radius.

Essentially your dealer will be able to remotely investigate a check engine light or other dire alerts on the dash. "I think this is the progression of what's expected from a luxury brand in particular," Brian Bolain, marketing manager for Lexus, told Automotive News. "There's just the expectation that you're being cared for."

Bolain went on to say, "For the person who doesn't want to view it as, 'You're being invasive,' the other person is viewing it as, 'You're watching out for me and I don't have to worry about stuff.'"

There will be no additional cost over the current Enform service. $139 per year nets you all Enform functions plus the new Service Connect.
post #2 of 7 Old 09-09-2015, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
What sort of 'conditions' will it report and as for mileage, would that include the speed I was going at? It seems a bit invasive for me.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-09-2015, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Yea, I'd want to know the details of exactly what it is tracking and what it will do with that information. Can hey share it with other companies? Will it be used to adapt their sales strategies? Just for repairs?

post #4 of 7 Old 09-09-2015, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Garage
While this has good aspects, I do see some of this as an invasion of privacy. If you don't have control over or at least a say in what they will share then they will share everything with everyone, and that is not good. I'm trying not to have a 60's flashback to 'Big Brother Watching", but this is where it is eventually going.

US Navy Vet
2015 RC 350 F-Sport
2004 ES330
1965 Ford Mustang Custom Fastback
post #5 of 7 Old 09-10-2015, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
Neat idea. I'm torn on the "big brother watching" aspect. Your car's computer is already recording things like speed and driving behavior. So, if you're worried about that, it's already happening. And, they have used this "black box" in accident situations to determine fault. We're already being watched. Most people don't have a problem with it until they know about it. My take... just be a good person then it doesn't matter who's watching.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017 INFINITI Q60 3.0 TWIN TURBO V6 AWD PREMIUM
post #6 of 7 Old 09-10-2015, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Quote:
My take... just be a good person then it doesn't matter who's watching.
Typical response to people with privacy concerns. "Well, if you have nothing to hide, you shouldn't have an issue with it."

Whether its right or wrong things I'm doing, I have a right to privacy.

With this I mostly just want to be fully informed of everything they are collecting and all the uses that they have for it.

GearHeadPeter likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-11-2015, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Our driving data may already be recorded but they aren't transmitted to the car company constantly. If something happens then they are more than welcome to look at the relevant data but until then I'd like to keep my privacy. Let's hope they have an opt out option.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page