LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 01-12-2015, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Question Voice command issues with ML Stereo

Ok, I read about this in the manual and I am using a USB to play my music. I have a little over 700 MP3 on the USB device formatted per the manual.

When I initiate Voice Commands (VC) I get a response that indicates that I have too much music to do what is asked. VC: "Play Song Cliffs of Dover" or "Play Artist Eric Johnson". Each MP3 file has the artist name and song name clearly indicated.

I then read that because I have all the MPS in the root folder that could be the reason as it doesn't know what to do, so again looking at the manual it indicates I should implement folders, which I do for the different types of music I have. I have no more that 255 MP3 per folder, per the manual, and change to that folder. I again try to use the VC of "Play Song Cliffs of Dover" or "Play Artist Eric Johnson", and once again I get "Because of the volume the music must be cataloged, please try again later", but the problem is that later never occurs as every time I try it afterwards I get the same basic response.

Any help from the guru's would be greatly appreciated?

US Navy Vet
2015 RC 350 F-Sport
2004 ES330
1965 Ford Mustang Custom Fastback

Last edited by GearHeadPeter; 01-12-2015 at 01:46 PM.
post #2 of 18 Old 01-12-2015, 02:46 PM
Banned

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Thats interesting... I can't say I can be of any legitimate help peter, but anecdotally Lexus has been having issues with the System in the new NX as well, I'm wondering if we're seeing teething issues popping up?

have you tried with another USB loaded with say 1 or 2 albums for comparisons sake? If it replicates the issue I would say its more an issue with the system itself then the way you're using the system...

Keep us info'd.
post #3 of 18 Old 01-12-2015, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonful View Post
Thats interesting... I can't say I can be of any legitimate help peter, but anecdotally Lexus has been having issues with the System in the new NX as well, I'm wondering if we're seeing teething issues popping up?

have you tried with another USB loaded with say 1 or 2 albums for comparisons sake? If it replicates the issue I would say its more an issue with the system itself then the way you're using the system...

Keep us info'd.
I'll try that tonight when I get home. For starters I put only 1 MP3 on the USB and see if it can at least play 1 song. If the darn thing is supposed to catalog or index (on my Camaro) you would think it would indicate what it is doing, but nothing.

I'll keep you all informed as to what I find.

US Navy Vet
2015 RC 350 F-Sport
2004 ES330

post #4 of 18 Old 01-12-2015, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Garage
Please let us know what you find out - I have to say that as much as I love my RC350 I will admit the voice commands take some getting used to!!!
post #5 of 18 Old 01-13-2015, 03:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I don't know why Lexus didn't just licence CarPlay from Apple instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-13-2015, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadPeter View Post
I'll try that tonight when I get home. For starters I put only 1 MP3 on the USB and see if it can at least play 1 song. If the darn thing is supposed to catalog or index (on my Camaro) you would think it would indicate what it is doing, but nothing.

I'll keep you all informed as to what I find.
UPDATE:

I put 5 songs on a different USB device and put it into the car. I then used VC, and asked it to play a song and got the great response of "Pardon". I then tried play Artist and got the same stupid response. Then, like a miracle it started to work as advertised. It took the system over 3 minutes to catalog 5 songs, and how the heck long is it going to take to catalog 800? Yes, I can do the math, but it should be a lot faster.

According to the manual you can have have no more that 8 main folders on a USB device with the Root folder being one of the 8. So that means 7 main folders. Still working on finding out how the VC is supposed to work with that.

US Navy Vet
2015 RC 350 F-Sport
2004 ES330
post #7 of 18 Old 01-13-2015, 02:27 PM
Banned

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Interesting... can anyone confirm if this is standard operating procedures?
post #8 of 18 Old 01-13-2015, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonful View Post
Interesting... can anyone confirm if this is standard operating procedures?
Hope this helps.

The USB info is on page 364 of the owners manual.
Items related to standards and limitations are as follows:

Maximum directory hierarchy: 8 levels
Maximum number of folders in a device: 3000 (including the root)
Maximum number of files in a device: 9999
Maximum number of files per folder: 255

Random selection when using USB device: When Random is selected twice then the system will randomly play a song from each folder on the USB device and FLD.RAND will appear on the screen.

Selecting Random only once will randomly play songs that are currently in the folder you are in. This is on Page 222 of the Navigation manual.

US Navy Vet
2015 RC 350 F-Sport
2004 ES330
post #9 of 18 Old 01-16-2015, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Update 1/15/2015

After speaking with Lexus Customer Service for stereos I was basically told to use Bluetooth from my phone. Not exactly what I was hoping for.

On another note I transferred all my music from a USB to my iPod Nano 4th Gen. and lo and behold every freaking thing works like it should. Voice commands all work correctly.

The only reason I didn't want to use my iPod in the first place was in case the car was ever broken into I wouldn't lose my iPod and only a $15 USB drive.

If anyone ever finds out how to make a USB flash drive work let me know.

US Navy Vet
2015 RC 350 F-Sport
2004 ES330
post #10 of 18 Old 01-16-2015, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Definitely not the answer they should be giving but at least it's something for now that will work.

I guess you can always try asking another rep to see what they have to suggest to you, might get a different answer.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page